Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

DocuSigning Their Lives Away

This morning, I got an email with a DocuSign packet about 30 pages long.

You know, the usual:

  • Yes, I know what IVF is
  • Yes, I know what you're going to do to me
  • Yes, I know that it might not work
  • Yes, I'm aware of alllll of the reasons it might not work
  • Yes, I know there might be multiples
  • Yes, I know progesterone-in-oil must go in the butt.
  • Yes, I know there are risks
  • No, we don't want genetic testing
  • Yes, we want to freeze remaining embryos
  • In the event of one or both our deaths, the embryos will go to.... wait. What?
Yes. There is a section where you decide what will happen to your embryos in the event of:

  • One or both our deaths or incapacitation
  • Separation or Divorce
  • Not using all available embryos
  • Change in Wife's physical condition which will render her incapable of carrying a pregnancy to term
  • Breech of contract

I was just initialing my whole way through there until I got to that part. There's all kinds of things you can to do your embryos - transfer "custody" of embryos to a third party agent, transfer custody to a needful married couple, transfer custody for disposal, transfer custody to medical research, or grant sole custody to one or the other.

We're talking about itty bitty blastocyst babies here.

I promptly text Jeff and said, "Uh, hey, this is kinda heavy I think Imma wait til you get home tonight, mkay?"

Yep. Just signing the lives away of our yet-uncreated children.

That's a weird thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment