Pages

Friday, March 25, 2016

7 weeks pregnant

I went in for an ultrasound at 6 weeks 6 days yesterday.

Long story short - baby looks good, heartbeat looks good, but my uterus is growing funny and is squishing the gestational sac, right where the baby is growing.

It looks like this:


Baby is down there, that whitish thing at the bottom.

We have a small thing to worry about, and that is the kind of pinching which is making the sac elongated, as pictured. What you maybe can't see is how thick the uterine wall is one the left side of that picture. The doctor says he's not sure what it is, it may be a vascular overgrowth that will work itself out, especially since we didn't see it last week and he never saw it before. So, he said we have a "greater than 60% chance of keeping, but less than 90%".

These are good odds. However, I was devastated. What most normal,healthy pregnancies hear at an appointment at this time is "Everything looks great! You have a 5% chance or less of losing."

He advised cancelling some upcoming work trips because the added stress would not be helpful and "if you miscarry, it won't be fun to do that in a hotel room." Truth.

It felt so unfair to hear that and if we're being completely honest, I spent most of the day an inconsolable wreck, shoving icecream down my throat (not ashamed). We have given *everything* to this shot at being parents - and several other tries over the last 3 years. I'm spent. 

I knew I needed to ask for a blessing the minute we left the doctor's office, but I was too angry and upset to be in a place to be receptive to whatever might be said so I waited until that evening when I was. I'm so grateful to have a priesthood holder in my house. I know that no matter what happens, we will be okay. 

We go back next week for another ultrasound to see how things are progressing and hopefully see some shrinkage in the growth on that left side.

Prayers are always appreciated. Will update when we know more.

BUT: for today, I'm pregnant and there's a little baby with a heartbeat in there. That's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment